PDF (165.2 KiB)
CP AOR, Child Protection Area of Responsibility,Global Protection Cluster
This resource contains tips on child emotional support, stress reduction, and physical safety during active bombings.
• Try to remain as positive as possible. Children read in your behavior what is going on. You do not always have to remain ‘strong’; you are already doing the best you can. Engage in selfcare, self-compassion, and express positive emotions.
• Hug your children if they want and allow children to ‘nestle in’ on your lap.
• Sing together childhood songs. It gives a sense of security.
• Avoid open conflict and confrontation among friends and family.
• Accept the way your child feels whatever emotions they show.
• The more you obtain support from others, the better you will be able to help your kids.
• Pray together with your child if you believe in a god or spirituality.
• Do not encourage feelings of angriness or revenge in your children. This would only increase anxiety in your child(ren).
• For adolescents, ensure to balance between treating them as adults (telling the truth, sharing your thoughts with them, giving responsibility) but also allowing them to ask for support.
Read full abstract